Have you ever wondered how many insurgency groups are there in the north east states? Take a wild guess. 10? 20? 30? 50?
According to the web portal maintained by Institute for conflict Management, there are 124 insurgency groups in the NE states (excluding Sikkim) which consist of 12 proscribed (banned/forbidden) insurgent groups, 31 active groups and 80 inactive groups. However there may be few more insurgent groups missing from the list. For instance, in Manipur there are groups like Aleng and MNRF which were found missing in the list.
Here’s the detail under each states
1. Arunachal Pradesh has just one insurgeny group
2. ASSAM: There are 2 Proscribed insurgent groups, 14 active insurgent groups and other 29 inactive groups taking the total insurgent groups to 45.
3. Manipur: The state has 6 proscribed groups, 9 active groups and 25 inactive insurgent groups taking the total to 40 insurgent groups in the state.
4. Meghalaya has 3 active insurgent groups, one proscribed group and two inactive insurgent groups
5. Mizoram has one active and one inactive insurgent group.
6. Nagaland has 4 active and 1 inactive insurgent groups
7. Tripura has two proscribed insurgent groups and 23 inactive groups.
The above list are updated upto September 2014 by Institute for Conflict Management on their web portal SOUTH ASIA TERRORISM PORTAL.